Update : 06/01/2010
The 2010 Kiruna campaign was a real success with 10 short-length flights of a few hours, of which:
- 4 requested by the scientists
- 5 needed for the qualification of a new tearing system for the envelope
- and one exceptional one which included the use of a 800 000m3 balloon that had not been used for years, the feasibility demonstration of a world-first day stellar sensor which showed great performances, and significant improvements on the pointed basket system
All the objectives that had been set have been reached, and the feedback from the scientists has been excellent. The next step is to exploit the important amount of scientific and technical data gathered with the scientific community.
Scientists are already looking towards the next balloon campaign later this year in autumn. The Concordiasi campaign will take place at the South Pole for long-duration flights. In spring 2011, a new scientific and technical campaign will take place in Kiruna. The mission selection procedure has already started.
Some 40 scientists from French and Russian laboratories took part in the Kiruna campaign, with some 30 people from CNES also involved, and Swedish technicians providing assistance to operate the ETNA-2 remote measure system.
|ELHYSA||LPC2E||Water vapour measurements||90 Kg||Frost-point hygrometer|
|ISAO||LATMOS||Study of the atmospheric transport and chemistry by simultaneous measure of water vapour, Nox, electric field and charged particles||15 kg||Mini-SAOZ (spectrometer) and electric field probe|
|SP2-Démonstration||LMD||Preparation of the Stratéole mission, 2nd phase||15 kg||Ozone sensor and frost-point hygrometer|
|SWIR||LPMA||Mesure of CO et CO2 par reversal of the IR flux at nadir. Validation of the GOSAT satellite for greenhouse gas monitoring||500kg||Fourier Transform spectrometer|
|Pico-SDLA||LPC2E||Miniaturized version of SDLA, measure of CO2 et de H2O||< 2 kg||Laser spectrometer|
|HAMLET||Université Montpellier||Effect of radiations on memories||< 2 kg||Memories ands et CI|
|FLASH B||CAO (Russie)||Measure of water vapour||< 2 kg||Hygrometer|
|STAS||CAO (Russie)||Aerology||5 kg|
|BALLTRAP||ONERA||Characterisation of the ionisation of protons||< 2 kg|
- The CNES Aerostats website (in French)
- Read the weekly records of the campaign (in French)
- Also see the beginning of the campaign (in French)
- The stratospheric balloons of CNES (in French)