The planets and small bodies of the Solar System thematic aims to study:
- The formation and the evolution of the Solar system
- The formation and the evolution of planets and small bodies (comets, asteroids, dwarf planets)
- The various components of the planetary bodies: Ionized environment (a matter of the " SHM " thematic), Atmosphere, Surface, Sub-surface & inside
On the bodies where liquid water is or was present:
- The study of the habitability of the planetary bodyThe study of the emergence of Life.
- This last objective is common with the "Exobiology" thematic.