This theme includes the study of:
- Oceans: deep-sea - coastal - littoral, in their physical, biogeochemical, environmental, climatic dimensions, in all the scalesof time or space
- Cyosphère for sea ices and glacial surfaces (except glaciers of mountain and snow)
- Interactions of these domains with the atmosphere, the continents, and with the human activity.
Satellites offer a global, homogeneous, continuous and long-lasting observation of these environments very difficult to access in situ or in-depth; they require however efforts of research on:
- the physics of the measure,
- the definition of relevant observable
- the calibration,
- the validation
- the elaboration of highly-developed products from space observationsthe in situ / models satellite integrationthe multi-parameters analysis for the understanding of the processesthe valorisation in societal applications.